Professor emeritus Max Bowman taught chemistry at UW Oshkosh from 1953 to 1980. Before UW Oshkosh, he taught chemistry at the University of Louisville, Kentucky after working several years in the private sector. He graduated from DePauw University in 1932 with a bachelor’s degree in chemistry. He earned his master’s degree from Indiana University and his doctorate from the University of Illinois. Max passed away in 2001.
Max established the Bowman Scholarship in 1998, in memory of his parents, Earl and Alpha Bowman. Earl and Alpha were both in the teaching profession.
He established the Gertrude Haemig Bowman Scholarship in 1999 in memory of his wife. Gertrude Haemig Bowman was a registered nurse, receiving her training at St. Barnabas Hospital in Minnesota. She later took graduate coursework at the University of Minnesota. Throughout her career, Gertrude worked at several hospitals and universities, including UW Oshkosh. After retiring, Gertrude devoted herself to volunteer work. She received numerous awards from the community, including the Edward Jones Heart of Gold Award. Gertrude passed away in 1989 at the age of 79.