The Karges Family
Dr. Burton E. Karges (1908-1972) established the geology program at UW Oshkosh in 1934 and taught there until his death in 1972. He taught courses in Physical Geography, Geomorphology, Physiography, as well as Cultural Geography. When he was hired at UW Oshkosh, he had just completed his Ph.D. at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Dr. Karges was inducted into the Army during World War II, returning to his teaching duties after the war. Originally part of the Geography Department, Geology was granted departmental status in the 1965-66 academic year. Dr. Karges served as the first chairman of the department and held that position until 1970. Dr. Karges wished to teach at UW Oshkosh for 40 years, but cancer cut short his term in the department at 38 years.
The Burton E. Karges Geology Scholarship was established by Burton’s family and friends in 1973. The Geology Department also established the Karges Award for Achievement in Geology in Dr. Karges memory.